Canvas Match 3 Game
I decided to make a match three game as a first step to learning a new game engine. Since Enchant.js is pretty much abandoned at this point, I figured it was time to try something new, and I decided on Phaser.js. So I start making the game, but it just seems that using a game engine was overkill for something as simple as a match-three game.
The coolest thing about making the game was dealing with all the animations. I split up the animations to only render the tile which is moving, instead of rendering the whole canvas every time something has to be changed. This saves a lot of resources, making the game run faster and smoother. The trick was to make sure that things didn’t overlap. The animations run asynchronously, so I had to avoid situations where multiple animations were running on top of one another, or that the logic from a running animation did not interfere with the logic of a new mouse click.
The game is pretty basic, but I was able to remove all the little glitches I came across when testing. I’m also pleased to have made a game where the graphics actually look OK. This is all thanks to finding creative commons images and playing with GIMP a little bit.